1. Start your day with 'honey water'. Mix a teaspoonful of good quality honey (like Manuka) into half a pint of hot water as this will kick start your metabolism.
2. Sleep is vital to keeping our biological rhythm in balance, so avoid too much or too little. It is very essential to avoid sleeping in the day as that slows down the body’s metabolism and encourages weight gain.
3. Use healthy herbs and spices like fresh ginger, turmeric, garlic, cumin seeds and black pepper in routine cooking, as these have properties that reduce bad cholesterol and protect vital organs.
4. Take a teaspoonful of flaxseed oil every other day along with multivitamins, it is thought to support the immune system and also help prevent water retention.
5. Stress is a triggering factor in weight gain. Learning how to recognise and cope with it will help to improve the condition – many people find that meditation is one of the most effective ways to do this.
Ayush, meaning ‘healthy life’ in Sanskrit, is the first destination spa of its kind dedicated to restoring optimum health to holidaymakers and spa seekers interested in the healing foundations of Ayurveda. For enquiries or to make a reservation contact Ayush Wellness Spa, Hotel de France, St Saviour’s Road, St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands JE1 7XP on 01534 614172 or visit www.defrance.co.uk