Amidst the mounds of chocolate, make sure the little ones get something healthy this Easter with this egg recipe for Easter bunnies from British Lion eggs.
Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus chilling time
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 6 British Lion eggs
- 2 cooked beetroot (from a vacuum pack)
- Salad leaves
- Carrot, cherry tomatoes, to serve
- Chives, cut into 2.5cm lengths
1. Place eggs into a pan of warm water, bring to the boil and cook for seven minutes. Drain and cool in a large bowl of cold water. Once cooled, peel and shell.
2. Grate beetroot into a lidded container. Add eggs and turn to cover. Leave for at least one hour or chill overnight, shaking occasionally.
3. To assemble, quickly rinse the eggs and pat dry on kitchen paper. Cut two eggs in half lengthways to make bunny bodies, then cut two eggs into quarters lengthways, to make bunny ears. Take the final two eggs and cut in half horizontally from the bunny faces, trim off the rounded tip of the eggs to make them easier to serve.
4. Place a body on the plate, using a little soft cheese spread on the plate to hold things in place, add a face and ears. Cut small triangles of carrot or tomato for noses and add chive whiskers.
5. Decorate the plates with salad leaves and vegetables cut into flower shapes.
See more recipes in our food section.